Sunday, February 27, 2011

Are You at the Top of the Top of the Top Ten - Why Not?

The other day someone asked me; Why do you have to be number one in everything you do? They said; "Why can't you be in the Top Ten or something like that?" I felt as if they did not understand and I retorted back;
I am in the Top Ten, in fact, I am in the top of the Top Ten and I just happen to be number one of the Top Ten, so what's the problem? I told them; Look, I was in at the bottom, then I made it to the top ten and then I went through the top ten to number one, now I am number one, what is wrong with being number one?
Then I asked them why they were not in the top ten and they said they did not want to try that hard. I agreed with them and I told them, this is why there are 9 other people in the Top Ten, other than me, they are not number one, because they accepted lesser. If there are two people in a contest one will be number one and one will be number two and if you are playing in such a game you need to decide where on the list is the place for you.Vince Lombardi's famous speech use to be on the back of my door to my room growing up, "There is only one place for me, and that is first place," and what is wrong with that? Amazingly, some people think that being the best all the time is wrong? How on Earth could winning be wrong? If winning is so wrong then stop competing all together, and certainly stop competing with me - there is nothing wrong with being number one, surely you can see? If you would like to explore these thoughts more, perhaps I can recommend the following book to you?
"The Enemy Called Average - Don't Settle for an Average Life" by John L. Mason - 1990.
"Lance Winslow" - Online Think Tank forum board. If you have innovative thoughts and unique perspectives, come think with Lance; www.WorldThinkTank.net/. Lance is an online writer in retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment